Skip to main content
- Population: 126.7 million
- Capital: Mexico DF
- Official language: Spanish and 68 amerindian languages.
- Area: 761,610 square miles.
- Federal Presidential Republic
- Mexico is home to more Spanish speakers than any other country in the world.
- Mexico is home to 35 UNESCO world heritage sites.
- Mexico City is home to more than 22 million people.
- Mexico has more pyramids than Egypt with more than 60.
- Mexico is home to the world’s largest pyramid, the Teotihuacan pyramids.
- Mexico is home to over 200 volcanoes, more than any other country in the world.
- Mexicans drink more Coca-Cola per capita than any other nation in the world with average daily consumption of 2.2 liters of Coca-Cola.
- Mexicans introduced chocolate to Europe.
- Baseball first rose to popularity in Mexico during the 1880s, and may have been introduced there as early as 1846.
- Mexico’s current premier baseball league, the Mexican Baseball League, was founded in 1925 and consists of two divisions with 16 teams in total.
- The Mexican League has been classified as a Triple-A level league since 1967, and was classified as a Double-A league before then.
- The sport has traditionally been considered one of the most popular sports in Mexico, second only to soccer.
- Over 120 different players have made appearances for Major League Baseball teams, the first being Mel Almada who played for the Boston Red Sox starting in 1933.
- Other notable Mexican MLB players include Fernando Valenzuela, Vinny Castilla, Joakim Soria, and Julio Urias.
- Mexican teams have competed in the Caribbean Series since 1971, winning the championship 3 times in 4 years from 2013 to 2016.
Baseball & Softball Stats:
- 100 kids benefited
- 2 programs
- 2 cities